Col (Ret.) Dr. Thakur Hemant, Chief Clinical Officer / Director of Psychiatry
COL (Ret.) Hemant Thakur M.D.
Diplomate, American College of Lifestyle Medicine
Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Col (Ret.) Hemant Thakur M.D. is a medical doctor, assistant clinical professor, and specialist in Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. He was trained as Psychiatrist at Mount Sinai School of Medicine New York and fellowship in Consultation/Liaison Psychiatry at Maimonides Medical Center New York. He is Board Certified by The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and American Board of Lifestyle Medicine. As a board-certified psychiatrist with specialized training in psychosomatic medicine, he has worked in various mental health settings, including Inpatient and Outpatient Psychiatry, Alcohol and drug rehabilitation programs, as Consultation/Liaison Psychiatrist on Medical/Surgical floors and as the former Director of PTSD Program. He worked for more than three decades with the Veterans Administration. Dr. Thakur is Retired Colonel from United States Army Reserve with 21 years of service, Iraq and Afghanistan War Veteran and also worked for army in Germany, Japan, Guatemala and various army instillations in USA. After years of treating people whose lives were in ruins, he saw that traditional psychiatric treatments, traditional medicine including drug therapies, were not always effective. It was then that he began to identify common themes and simple methods that could successfully change behavior, solve problems, and minimize stress. He also started studying lifestyles of centenarians. Dr. Thakur has lectured extensively on his holistic treatments in Europe, Asia, and the United States.
He has dedicated his life to teach people lifestyle changes to live long healthy lives and help to transform lives of war veterans who suffer from PTSD/TBI and cope with Life stressors to improve holistic wellbeing.
Highlights of his career:
- Worked in PTSD program for more than 25 years, Former Director of PTSD program for 18 years and treated thousands of patients with PTSD and TBI
- He has cared for thousands of veterans and service members from all branches of Military who have a wide variety of disorders and worked with interdisciplinary team in various hospitals both in outpatient and inpatient settings both for VA and Army
- Have been teaching and effectively motivating patients on Lifestyle changes based on six pillars of Nutrition, Exercise, Tobacco free and minimal Alcohol use lifestyle, Stress management, including meditation, Sleep being essential part of health and building supportive healthy relationships with family and friends. Have been promoting healthy behaviors as foundation for disease prevention and health for more than 20 years. Have been educating patients on screening, diagnosing and monitoring of lifestyle-related diseases. He has lectured extensively on these topics and “Lifestyles of Centenarians” and help patients to self-manage their health behaviors and lifestyles
- Former Co-chair of IRB and worked on two Research projects related to PTSD and TBI at Kansas City VA Medical Center
- Have been studying nutrition based upon Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr and Dr. T Collin Campbell programs and have been teaching it in live lectures/seminars in entertaining ways for more than 15 years with significant improvement in health of his patients
- Motivational Speaker and have spoken nationally and internationally in seven countries with 2000 plus lectures/seminars on “Innovative Approaches to PTSD and Life Stress”
- Author of three books with latest book, “Innovative Holistic Approaches to PTSD and Life stress” and first book and “Mega-Mind: Path to Success and Freedom: Guide to Achieving Success and Ultimate Happiness” based upon studies of hundreds of people who were resilient despite going through numerous traumatic events/life stress and yet lived successful life and evidence-based strategies, tools, techniques of resilient people
- Patients believe and trust him as patients are aware that he has been practicing for 23 years the lifestyle he teaches to patients
- Received Prestigious “Legion of Merit,” “Order of Military Medical Merit” awards from Army. Recognition by Congressman Emanuel Cleaver II for 20 plus years of service to Army as well help thousands of service members and veterans with PTSD and TBI
- Received Special Contribution Award from Kansas City VAMC for exceptional, humanitarian clinical care to PTSD/TBI patients as reported by patients
- Member of American College of Lifestyle Medicine
Looking for more information?
If you, a friend, or family member would like to learn more, let’s discuss how our approach may help.